[Non-Fiction] I believe I was haunted and attacked by a Demon

[This was originally a comment on an askreddit post regarding scarring and dark experiences. I spent the time to write it all out, So I figured I might as well post it elsewhere.]

Not sure if you all believe in demons, but I definitely do. I was just a kid about 14 years old when I had the scariest 3 subsequent nights of my life in my new house. Short version, night one of three, I had a corded wall phone plugged into the wall in my room. It was pointless to have but I was a kid, so I thought it'd be cool to have a phone in my room for when I didn't have cell service. The same night I'd put it down there, I was in the living space next to my room playing some GTA on my playstation. It was approx. 2 to 3 in the morning. House was silent, parents were asleep, just gaming downstairs with me, myself, and I. Next thing I know we get a call, I could hear the phone go off upstairs too, so I quickly rushed to the one in my dark room so I could pick it up before my parents woke up. I answered, "Hello?" And heard silence on the other end... and decided to just hang up. This happened about 2 more times before I realized the upstairs phone wasn't ringing anymore. It was just mine. This was kind of eerie to me, especially since it was so late and whoever was on the other end never said anything at all. In retaliation to the situation I yanked the cord out of the wall and kicked the phone to the side next to all my boxes I still had yet to unpack and went back to gaming. About 30 minutes later, the fucking phone went off again and I lost my mind. I ran and shut the door to my room and sat back down at my playstation frozen in thought. "I DEFINITELY UNPLUGGED THAT. WHAT. THE. HELL."

Decided to sleep on the futon that night.

Next night, my buddy came over late and played some GTA with me. Mid-conversation I remember what happened the night prior and tell him about it. "...so yeah, if it goes off, just know it's freaking unplugged and we aren't going over there to check, because screw that."

I'm pretty sure he didn't believe me until about 45 minutes later when that phone went off again. He was brave enough, however, to go and check to see if I was screwing with him and came back white like a ghost. He was now as frozen as I was. Being dumb kids we decided that maybe the crazier idea was that someone was in the house and trying to mess with us, instead of some theory of demons and ghosts.

With that idea drilling its way into our skulls we immediately went upstairs to the kitchen, grabbed knives, and cleared rooms like it was call of duty. It's funny to me now, because now I actually do that for a living. Obviously, we found nothing, and went back downstairs to continue playing. My buddy was a bit upset, however, and decided to go home. I was left alone with my thoughts and a controller in my hand.

That night was the worst of the first two because I couldn't stop thinking about it. The fact that I, now, wasn't the only one who witnessed it made it all the more real for me.

It was almost 4AM and I really needed to try to go to bed. I tried sleeping on the futon again while watching some stupid infomercial on anti-stick copper pans or something. You know, the one with the old lady baking cakes and shit inside the oven with a frying pan.

Finally I started dozing off and dazed my way into the land of dreams, or so I thought... think? I really don't know. I won't ever know. It was one of those dreams that were too real. I was "dreaming" that I was slowly working myself to sleep when I cracked my eyes open for a second to watch this dark shadow lurk its way down my stairs into the living space I was sleeping on the futon at. I was completely frozen in fear. I could hear it, see it, smell it. The smell was so pungent I could taste this nasty aura of burning meat around it; getting stronger the closer to me it got.

It was leaning over me while I lay frozen trying to think of anything to give me solace in the situation. It lifted its hands, paws, whatever they were, up into my collar bone and neck area. It slowly sunk its weight down into my throat and began vigorously choking the air out of me. I was so frozen I couldn't even struggle. I passed out in my "dream" then woke up around 3pm in the futon, feeling completely drained and restless.

You know that moment after you wake from a dream where it's just blank, then all the memories from it come rushing back to you about 30 seconds after waking? It hit me like a brick wall. I started crying because I was so freaked out by what had happened. I felt my neck and throat and it was incredibly sore to the touch. No bruises, scratches or marks, just oddly sore. I told my parents about it but they shrugged it off as most parents do, initially.

If you guys find this interesting let me know I guess and I'll continue on with the 3rd night and some other more minor things I've been through. But yeah, I live with those three nights every day of my life. It's messed me up in a lot of ways, but I definitely do NOT fuck with wiji boards or anything of the sort.

Edit:

So, there's a few of you now that would like to hear the rest of it. I figure I owe it to you guys. Kind of a dick move not to post the whole story, but I didn't think people would even read it. So thank you for those that have, and that commented telling me their stories. Honestly, it's messed up to say, but there's solace in the fact that I'm not alone. So here it is. Bare with me, it's probably gonna be long.

After the second night I was pretty shook. I didn't really know what to think and as much as I wanted to reason with it all, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I found myself sitting upstairs next to the window, concentrating on my breathing and aimlessly staring at things outside. Thinking of my parents advice, to just forget it all, that it was nothing crazy... Just sleep deprivation and a bad dream. There was still so much left to explain, though.

I took the phone out of my room, and put it inside a box in a storage closet. It was the only thing I could think of to do with it, as burning it or throwing it away was a bit excessive and would probably piss my Mom off. I just wanted to forget about it.

It was Sunday night and I'd already missed church. I never liked going anyway. It always seemed so fake to me, being Catholic. Too many fake smiles and happiness. It just never seemed real to me, the world wasn't like that, outside. However, my grandmother always had us come over for dinner after church and my parents had just left to go, insisting I come as well. I didn't want to. The weight of what'd happened was still too much for me.

I did what I always did on the weekends, threw in some hot pockets, went downstairs and got on my playstation. I needed to play games or do something to get my mind functional again. After a couple hours, I went up and showered. In our bathroom we have this really weird skylight above the shower. I never understood why whoever built the house put it there of all places, but there it was. Letting all the natural light in, lol. I hopped in while playing some kind of metalcore I'm sure, singing along with it. Maybe some ADTR or something, who knows. Mid way through I noticed all the sunlight was gone, and it was dark as hell. With that skylight you can practically leave the lights off because there's so much sunlight pouring through. I looked up and it was almost completely black. Like the sun had just been swallowed up. Didn't think too much of it though, and continued showering. What really caught my attention was when the sunlight started coming back. The light was moving around inside the bathroom. Confused, I looked back up to the skylight just as light beamed into my eyes, making me squint. As my eyes slowly adjusted I saw what looked like an animal or something on the roof, partially blocking the light. Trying to figure out what kind of animal it was, it moved right off the skylight for a moment, then back again. If you were in the other room, all you would hear is "WHAT THE FUCK" and a huge thump. I freaked the fuck out and rushed out of the tub and slipped. Whatever it was, it resembled the shape of a head and shoulders of a small person, close enough to the window of the skylight to make it dark enough only for the silhouette to be recognized. I ran through the house as fast as I could and called my mom. (I'm a momma's boy, say whatcha want.) I explained to her what happened and she said her and my step dad would be home soon, and to lock all the doors. I ran door to door making sure they were all locked. I didn't know what the hell that was but it looked like a person watching me from the roof. It was so creepy. I wasn't even thinking about the night before at this point. I was worried some sociopathic fuck was going to try and break in and kidnap me or something. Like the 2nd night, I grabbed a knife and stayed in a middle room so they couldn't see me from the windows. 10 to 15 minutes later I heard my parents come home. They came inside and I started talking to them in person about it all. I brought up the prior two nights but they don't really believe in all the spiritual mumbo jumbo, especially with the small chance of it happening to us of all people. Don, my stepdad, actually hadn't heard of this til now, as I guess my mom hadn't informed him of everything that'd been going on. He got a little freaked out at the idea of someone lurking around the house then went and grabbed his handgun case from under their bed and went around the house a few times with it on his waist. Nothing came of it, so more mental suppression of events ensued.

It was getting late and my mom was about to go to bed, so she went outside to the garage to have a last cigarette before laying down. I joined her outside for a quick, hopefully mind easing conversation before I went to bed, too.

We just joked around while she finished her cigarette, talking about the last south park episode we watched or something more than likely. We were about to go back outside to get to the house before we heard and felt this HUGE slamming noise from the garage door. Mid sentence, my mom got cut off by a 3 to 4 inch deep dent was hammered right in the middle of the door. We froze in our steps and looked at each other.

You know when weird shit happens and your brain is kind of like "...well fuck i don't have a proper emotion for this incident so....... LAUGH."

My mother and I laughed together wide-eyed as fuck, hysterically. We were both so freaked out, but my mom brought up a good point... It was probably just a dumb bird or a bat, flying real fast and clearly in the wrong direction. So we both giggled at the idea and continued toward the door. Just before she reached for the handle I had this ENORMOUS feeling of anxiety and dread come over me and immediately reached over her and grabbed the handle, "WAIT, WAIT LET ME GO FIRST." She looked at me confused, "It was just a bat, Ryan, calm down." I explained the feeling I had to her, and she backed down.

I told her to stay back because I felt like something bad was going to happen (we share the same eerie feeling everytime something bad has happened to us in the past... that weird, human spidey sense). I grabbed the door handle while she looked over my shoulder. Cracking open the door I looked across the sidewalk to the house and over and around the doorway and porchside. It looked clear, so I continued step by step outside until my mom grabbed the ever loving fuck out of my shoulder. "RYAN...!" I saw it just after she did. There was this talk shadowy FUCKING thing on the edge of the porch, seemingly staring into our souls. Barely 2 seconds after, it leapt off the porch like a racehorse and sped off. My heart and chest were pulsating so hard it felt like something just gut-punched me. We ran to the door, got inside, and locked the door behind us.

"DO YOU FUCKING BELIEVE ME NOW, MOM?" I exclaimed. "Yes, holy shit. What's going on? Are we losing our minds?" She heavily breathed out. "I have no idea..." We stayed up after that for what felt like hours. I got hungry again and she made me some food. "I'm sorry but I really need to get to bed--you need to get sleep, too, you have school in the morning. We will figure it out tomorrow." "Alright, mom... Goodnight." "Goodnight." I sat there at the dining table eating my food, replaying all these events again and again. As I took another bite, I noticed the shadeless window next to me. I stared out into the pitch black darkness, imagining that fucking THING staring at me from behind some damned tree. I was losing it. I picked up my food and moved it downstairs. I figured, whatever, there's nothing I can do at this point. Might as well just eat and go to bed. That futon was killing my back so I said screw it and went to bed in my own room. However, my more pansy side encouraged me enough to close my blinds and leave all my doors open downstairs, so I can see into closets and other rooms.

I drifted off to sleep, slowly, but surely.

I had the weirdest dream... I was with several people inside a church that'd been destroyed. It was basically rubble at this point, aside from a few things like a cross with a broken Jesus statue pinned against it and a few pews. We were all there in rugged clothing scavenging this open linen bag of canned food someone had brought back. It was apocalyptic. People were talking about "The Beast" and when it would come back for us again. Watching myself overhead (which is, by the way, possibly the ODDEST perspective to dream in...) I was explaining to people that we needed to defeat the beast instead of run from it. That if we continued trying to run, it would eventually single us out, one by one, and kill us all.

So, advance 30 minutes into the dream and a bunch of random bullshit that happens, we begin arming ourselves up with anything and everything we have to fight with, including a bible or two.

We trek our way out into this apocalypse of a world and head toward the last known location of this beast. We were all shaking the entire time. We had nothing left to believe in, anymore. All hope that was left, laid in our own hands. I think we all knew this was a suicide mission but we also didn't want to go out without a fight. About 15 strong, we made our way back over to my old farm house I used to live in, oddly enough. (Dreams will be dreams)

As we reached the gravel road there's a pretty decent sized section of timber in the land. We went off the road to lead ourselves against the edge of the brush beside the timber. This was the last know spot of the beast. It had to be close. It smelled like burning, burning everything, everywhere.

As we paced our way someone noticed a dark silhouette off in the distance, moving at an alarming speed. We were pretty certain this was the beast, I could feel the fear of everyone around me. I encouraged them all, I ensured them we would get through this.

Someone else noticed the silhouette again, this time closer than the first. It was coming for us. Just as we began hearing the small trees being torn down and the brush kicked apart, we had 4 to 5 of us straight up flee. They chose the wrong part of their fight or flight response. This beast caught up with them in seconds. Before I could even make out what it looked like, it had already tore them down. It came at them so quickly there was an explosion of red mist illuminating the dusky air around their bodies.

The beast drifted off again into the timber, likely waiting for more to separate themselves from the pack. It crept closer and closer every time we blinked. Eventually, it was too much for everyone and we all started running. I yelled for everyone to hold their ground, but no one listened. It was every man for themselves. It ran us down one by one until it reached me. I was sprinting for my dear life, waiting for it to slaughter me like a pig.

As I was running I couldn't help but think, what the hell was taking it so long. It cut down everyone else so quickly, why isn't it killing m-... My thought was cut off by the feeling of its firey hot breath on my neck... I knew it was over but that only pushed me to run harder and harder. I was so out of breath and about to pass out, but it's my life and I didn't want to lose it.

I ran for probably 15 seconds... Why wasn't it killing me? What was protecting me? These thoughts raced through my head as I raced for the very blood in my veins. I couldnt handle anymore, muscle failure was incoming, and just as I made that realization, this beast let out the most gut wrenching roar I'll never forget. It had caught up to me, I could feel it standing over me. I knew it was over, but for some reason I had this weird feeling that it couldn't hurt me... otherwise... why would it be taking this long?

It hit me, if I'm going to die, I'll do it on my own terms. I stopped dead in my tracks, as did the beast. I stared down at my feet, ready to be cut down like a slave in shackles. The beast walked around to the front of me. Just as it's feet got in my field of view, my heart sunk to my stomach. It had hooves... (and I'll never forget what it looked like til the day I die...) Its right hoof had a giant gash in it, almost split open. The smell of burning was overwhelming me now, as was the curiosity to look up into the eyes of this thing... I slowly wretched my eyes up, so I could at least look at what it was that was about to be the death of me.

Its legs were contorted and inverted. Skinny, flesh melted off like its legs had been dipped in extremely hit boiling water. Its stomach was completely gone. I could see its spine and a torn, thin, layer of skin barely covering its back. Its chest cavity was torn open, with a large gash in its colar mis bone, and missing most of where I'd imagine its rib cage was. There were no organs, just flesh, a little bit of tissue and bone... lots of bone. It had arms that seemed to reach down for miles, and claws the size of my head. Its claws were extremely boney and raw, way too long not to be scary as all hell. He was still dripping of the blood of my friends. I couldn't bare to look it in the eyes, but I knew I had to.

As my eyes slowly rolled upward to its head, I started getting dazed and tunneled. I fought through it to discover that its head was that of a ram/wolf combination. It had the snout of a wolf but with the horns of a ram. Its eyes sunken into their sockets, black and rotten. Its jaw slightly crooked and unhinged. It had a marking across its left eye.

I stared at it as it stared into my soul. Still confused as to why it hadn't killed me yet. I could feel it breathing on me as it towered over me, ready to shove its already bloodied claws into my chest.

Ready to die, I stared up into the sky... Begging God for help and for the protection of my family, wherever they might be. I slowed my breathing and increased my concentration, in the anticipation of my death. I took the opportunity to remember all the best parts of my life, and all the things I wished i could have done. I just wanted to try again, do it over. I didn't want to die. "God, help me... Please." I whispered to myself, hoping maybe he was there, and would help me... A few seconds had passed and to much surprise... out of nowhere, I gained this immense amount of confidence, surging through my body like an earthquake. I could feel it surging through my veins and in my heart. This righteous anger, I needed to release it, I couldn't hold it in any longer... "NNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" I screamed from the deepest darkest part of my soul, and shoved the beast away from me as hard as I could. Just as the beast knocked back and hit the roadside, everything went blank for a moment... I calmly woke up in my bed at home, with the covers over me, soo calmly... It was over, that dream was finally done... After the minor shock factor I sighed with relief as I grabbed my phone and looked at the time... 3:32AM. That dream seemed to take forever. I laid there in bed staring at the ceiling, thinking about what'd happened in it.

I started drifting back off to sleep just when I noticed something odd. Not only was it way darker in my room than normal but there's an odd putrid smell, here too. I kind of looked off to the side, and it was literally so dark I couldn't even make out the outlines of the furniture in my room. It was as if something was just absorbing the light. Light didn't exist in that room and that damned smell was making me sick.

I was still reconnecting the events from my dream, evidently because it took me a whole minute to realize that was the same fucking smell I'd experienced in my dream, standing next to that beast...

My heart started racing uncontrollably, I was wheezing and having a panic attack, I'd never had one before. The paranoia had set in and I started looking all around for the beast.

Then... I felt its breath again. Right over my face. It's steaming hot, face melting breath. I looked up... there it was... yet again.... towering over me. I was frozen in fear, yet again, as its claws slowly wrenched their way down against my chest.

Finally, after several moments of agonizing pain, I became self aware that this, too, must be another dream, and that I can get this fucking thing away from me. I asked God for help one last time, and it happened again. Energy and confidence surging through me, and a light illuminated my entire room like the sun, and I pushed the beast back and ripped myself out of my bed into it. Screaming at the top of my lungs I grabbed its colar bone with the grip of an ape and shoved it back against my door as hard as I could. Overpowering it, I broke through my door with its back as it fell to the ground and dissipated into nothing... After the adrenaline kicked off I heard my parents running downstairs.

I was grounded for about two weeks because my step dad didn't want to hear any shit about demons or ghosts and my mom didn't have the balls to back me up. Had to pay for the door, too. Classic.



Comments