Religious experience?

I don't know if this is the right place to post, but I do know that it was not "normal". About 20 years ago, when I was in my late 30's, I got very close to a man that I had then known for at least 20 years. He was a carpenter that I had met professionally and I admired his work. My husband and I hired him to build our dream house.

Once we had the opportunity to sit and talk, during breaks in the work, we found out that we had a connection and that we could talk about anything to one another. During the year or so that it took to build our home, he told me things that he had never shared with anyone else, not even his wife, such as his time as a Marine in Vietnam, during the war.

We kept in contact occasionally afterwards, as our professional lives overlapped, and I was always extremely happy to see him once again. Thoughts of what might have been had we found each other earlier in life were frequently in my head. The feelings were mutual, but they were never acted upon. He was catholic and took his vows extremely seriously. I was studying philosophy and had just began practicing buddhism.

Anyway, one evening I was sitting in a hot bath (in our new home) and thinking of him and I thanked God for allowing him in my life. I knew the limitations of our relationship and that we would never be truly "together". And as I was sitting there, a warm feeling welled in my chest, around my heart, and very slowly moved up into my head. I was very aware of this creeping warmth and of how good it felt, and then when it reached the top of my head it felt as though it kept rising, through the top of my head and then it flowed back down, over the outside of my body, and over my shoulders. It lasted for a good few minutes. It felt like a very deep and slow orgasm of my mind, and only my mind, as I was not feeling sexually stimulated. All I could think of during this whole time was "my cup runneth over". When the feeling subsided, I was left with an afterglow and a smile on my face that remained for at least the remainder of the day. It was profound.

I have never experienced anything remotely close to this before or since. I have never shared this experience until now. I would like to know if anyone else has experienced a deep "religious experience" that they wouldn't mind sharing.



Comments