Ghost of the midnight cleaning cupboard. (true story from a sceptic).

100% start off, I do not believe in the paranormal, despite a very large amount of stories I have heard, and this (my only) first hand experience. enjoy.

A bit of backstory first. I used to help out with a local Air Cadet squadron in the UK. I was an "expert" plastic model kit maker (that meant I was quite good when i was a Cadet there, and they were more than happy to let me stick around to keep making plastic model planes)

We were busy making a model for a competition, and the deadline was very very close. As always we were months behind, so a small handful of cadets and myself would stay behind a few hours, and then would also do a Saturday of paint sniffing, I mean model making. This story takes palce late on one of those saturday sessions.

The building is a military building, so is locked at both an outside gate, and the building itself. One extremely important "feature" is whenever you open any windows, and doors, it creates a vacuum that shakes the shutters in the kitchen like hell. No-one can get in or out the building without the shutters rattling and scaring the living day out of anyone in the building.

The actual story.... All the cadets have now gone home, and I am doing some final touches, that end up being an extra hour and a half of painting. It's 11:00 at night and it has been utterly silent. Suddenly I hear forceful water pouring from upstairs.

Crap. Just 2 weeks ago a tap in the ladies toilets exploded and flooded the top floor, and leaked downstairs.

I thunder upstairs, shove the ladies toilet door open, but no difference in sound. It was coming from the cleaning cupboard right next to the ladies toilets. So i try to open the door to the cupboard. It was locked.

Ah ha! The key will be in the key box in the office so I tried the door. It was also locked.

So I grabed the building keys from my pocket (only 2 sets exist) unlocked the door, unlock the key box, and unlocked the cleaning cupboard.

Surely enough the water sound got louder. In the cleaning cupboard is a low sink for filling up buckets etc. and the tap is on full blast. But it was going into a bucket that was sat in the sink at an angle. The bucket was only half full, and if it did get full it would have started to spill over the edge, and flood the cleaning cupboard.

So i turned the tap off, pour out the bucket, and put it nowhere near the sink. I quickly did a "patrol" around the building, throwing doors open jokingly shouting "got you!", model making scalpel in hand, but nothing, no-one. I then quickly packed up, locked up and nope on out there.

The following Monday I told everyone about the spooky happenings that night, expecting them to just laugh and re-assure me, but nope. A few stories about "bike bell ringing" lights being turned on, motion sensors going off in rooms despite no-one ever haring the characteristic sound of the kitchen shutter rattling when some-one entered the building.

So what could it have been? I was laughed at VERY loudly when I said to my paranormal believing friend “but the building was too new to be haunted” (because I thought ghosts had to be old jail wardens in castles etc.

Spooky. Hope you enjoyed my extremely long true story about a tap being turned on.

TLDR: stayed late in a building, alone, to paint a model plane. A tap (faucet) in a very well locked cupboard turned on, with the water going into a bucket. that bucket was only half full by the time i got there. no-one else had been in the building for at least an hour.



Comments