Disappearing Car?

I used to live in the middle of the woods.

The only road into the area where I lived was long and winding, and full of small hills and dips. It was, at least, a fifteen minute drive from my house to the main road. It's important that I add here that this road is a single road, and there are no driveways or turn-offs at any point until you get really close to my little neighborhood. There's nowhere to pull off the road. It's all just woods on both sides.

Back in 2014, when I lived in this house, I worked the late shift at my workplace; I'd go in at five in the afternoon and stay until one or two AM, bringing in the last truck of inventory and breaking down pallets and working product. It meant I'd be driving home in the middle of the night in pitch darkness.

Usually I was the only car on the road at such a late hour. That was fine with me, because driving at night and having to look at oncoming headlights gives me migraines, and if there are no other drivers on the road, then there were no oncoming headlights to worry about.

But this one night, I wasn't alone. There was another car on the road, about two hundred feet ahead of me. I'd watched his taillights rise up over a small hill and disappear down the other side, and when I got to the top of the hill, there would be his taillights climbing the next hill.

It was a little mesmerizing, watching his taillights rise and disappear over each hill.

Until I reached the top of the next hill, and his taillights were nowhere to be seen.

A bad feeling washed over me, and I slowed to a stop at the top of the hill and waited for the taillights to reappear, but they never did. I pulled over with the intention of getting out and looking for an accident scene, but I was too scared to get out of my car. It was the middle of the night and this area was known for coyotes and fisher cats, and a brown bear had been spotted nearby recently. I'd come really close to being attacked by coyotes before; it wasn't an experience I was eager to repeat.

From what I could see with my own hi-beams, nothing looked out of the ordinary. There were no brake marks and no tire tracks and no lights and no broken trees or anything indicative of a car having just run off the road. My phone didn't have cell service in the middle of the woods, but I was pretty sure an emergency call would go through anyway. But what would I say? "Hi, I'd like to report an accident I didn't see involving a car I don't see anymore and a crash scene I can't find, if it even exists, which I have no evidence for aside from what I may or may not have seen"?

To this day, I have no explanation for what happened. I'd driven through that area many, many times since then (plenty of those times being in broad daylight), and I have looked around that area in an attempt to find anything to suggest what happened to that car that night, but I've never found anything. To my knowledge, there were no reported accidents in that area during that time frame.

The car simply vanished without a trace.



Comments